NEWS FLASH! We have added a dinner buffet for Friday night. This is included in your registration, so there is no extra charge for it. All meals will have some foods that are vegetarian and vegan. Gluten free and sugar-free deserts will also be available.
Evening events will be open to women of all ages. These are: the Thursday concerts with Alix Dobkin and María Cora, the Friday keynote speech with comedian Karen Williams, and the Saturday DJ dance. Tickets are $15 each and are available at:
We are also selling tickets for single days—Thursday, Friday, or Saturday—at $125 per day. These are open to Lesbians in their 60th year or better, unless they are the lover or caregiver of someone who is. The links for tickets are:
Are you interested in volunteering at the Gathering? It is a great way to meet new Lesbians while also being part of making the event run smoothly. We need Lesbians from 5:00 P.M. Tuesday (arriving LOC Day attendees) to 3:00 P.M. Sunday (mostly in two-hour shifts) to staff the registration table, where you get first dibs on hugging the newly-arrived and encouraging them to sign up to volunteer, too; work in the hospitality room to prepare healthy and not-so-healthy snacks and engage in more hugging; coordinate and staff our movie room, including someone to ensure the continued safety of our precious movies (about 25-30 DVDs) and borrowed DVD players; schlep luggage for Lesbians who are arriving and leaving; orient scooter users to maneuver without knocking anyone down and support other Lesbians with disabilities as needed; make signs and assemble name tags; monitor workshops; and pack up food and t-shirts in the hospitality room on Sunday (in between sad good-bye hugs). If you would like to sign up online for a shift, hop on over to SIGN-UP. There will also be sign-up sheets at the registration table. Volunteering is fun and worthwhile, good for your health, and spreads positive karma!
More about food at the Gathering…
(No, we are not obsessed.)
Breakfasts are free for those staying in the hotel. Buffet lunches will be provided at no extra charge by OLOC on Wednesday for attendees of the Old Lesbians of Color Day, and on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for all Gathering registrants.
There is a free manager’s reception every evening in the hotel dining area for anyone staying in the hotel. It includes a snack buffet and drinks, and begins at 5:30 and ends at 7:30.
At this time, all dinners are on your own. This might change. For some, the snack buffet may be enough. The free hotel shuttle will transport hotel guests to restaurants within three miles of the hotel from 6:00 A.M.-10:00 P.M. We hope that those with vehicles will share rides and meals. There are a few restaurants within walking distance for those who are able to walk. There is a restaurant in the hotel. You will get at least one email a couple of weeks before the Gathering with additional information and updates.
For matters other than food, read on…
If you would like to donate to the auction, which will benefit OLOC, please bring items and services worth at least $100. You can give them to Alix or any registration volunteer when you are there. Your name will be listed as a donor and your gift will be acknowledged. You can also show your support for OLOC by bidding on one or more items. Maybe you will win! Make sure to save room in your bags for your new treasures!
Another way we are looking for generous Old Lesbians: if you have a hotel room and would like to give half to another Old Lesbian free of charge, we would be very grateful. This is definitely one way to make new friends with no effort on your part. We are also looking for Lesbians who would like to save money by having a roommate. Please contact Ruth at email@example.com or 760-318-6794 if you would like to do either.
Please note that there are two airports in Columbus. The one that runs a free shuttle to our hotel is John Glenn–CMH. The other airport, Rickenbacker, is 27 miles away and offers no transportation unless you have a phone that can call a ride sharing service–no rental cars, and taxis must be pre-arranged. And there are also two hotels with the same name! We will be at the Embassy Suites Hilton on Corporate Exchange Drive. Be sure you get the shuttle for that hotel. The Airport Embassy Suites is the one NOT to go to. If you follow this link http://embassysuites.hilton.com, you will show up at the right hotel!
- Authors and other booksellers will have a designated area for readings and book/DVD sales. There is no cost for this, so you keep everything you bring in. It will be on the honor system and you are responsible for your own items. We are unable to provide “security” for this area.
- We will also have vendor booths! The only restriction is that t-shirt sales are off limits. There is a cost for this. It will be on the honor system and you are responsible for your own items. We are unable to provide “security” for this area.
- On Saturday night, there will be a talent show, so bring what you need to show off your chops! There is a five-minute limit for each act and sign-ups will be on-site.
- We will be drumming! Bring your own drums and extras if you have them, to share with those who may not have or can’t travel with.
- For the chorus, bring your voice! Everyone is welcome.
- We will be showing films, so bring your movies. We have the equipment and screens, but need movie buffs and other volunteers to staff the room, especially to make sure our precious films don’t “disappear.”
- Please bring free literature to share in a designated area. Bring newsletters from your organizations at home, flyers for events in your community, local OLOC chapter materials, and whatever else you think will be of interest to Old Lesbians. Donations for other organizations cannot be solicited, but business cards and other promotional materials are fine, even for for-profits.
- You will get at least one email a couple of weeks before the Gathering with additional information about what to bring, travel details, last-minute updates, and more.
- If you would like to donate to the auction, which will benefit OLOC, please bring items and services worth at least $100. You can give them to Alix or any registration volunteer when you are there. Your name will be listed as a donor and your gift will be acknowledged. It is tax-deductible if you itemize. You can also show your support for OLOC by bidding on one or more items. Maybe you will win!
The newly-renovated Stonewall Columbus Community Center offers 15,000 square feet of space for the large and vibrant LGBTQ+ community of Central Ohio. Stonewall Columbus welcomes the LGBTQ+ and Ally community to this beautiful facility for classes, events, seminars, rental opportunities, and much more! Local OLOC Gathering volunteers are working with the Stonewall crew to offer us a guided tour of this new facility, with time after to explore the Short North area and perhaps enjoy a meal in one of the local restaurants. More information about this off-site activity and transportation will be available at the Gathering.
More about our favorite topic – food!
There will be lunch provided for those attending the Lesbians of Color Day, and there will not be snacks or a bar for the Wednesday night Welcome, as it is right after the Manager’s Reception. There will be buffet lunches on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Additional meals to be provided will depend on the number of registrants. We will try to meet most of your dietary needs and preferences, including trying to have vegan and vegetarian options at every lunch. The Manager’s Reception every night has veggies and hummus, at least. There are a number of nearby restaurants, and the shuttle can take people to those within a three-mile radius, but capacity is limited, as is time available. We are hoping that those attendees with cars will also provide transportation to others if they are going out to dinner, etc.
For vegans and vegetarians, there are Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s stores within shuttle distance at the Easton Mall. Each hotel room has a refrigerator and microwave. A couple of restaurants within or right out of that distance (if you can persuade the driver to go) are Portia’s Cafe and Melt, which has vegan and vegetarian options. Other nearby restaurants with vegetarian choices are O’Charleys, Don Tequila Mexican, Estilo Brazilian, and Monte Carlo Italian. More information about specifically vegan and vegetarian restaurants will be coming soon!
The Short North is just 20 minutes from the hotel. It is a section of the city that promotes Lesbian and gay businesses, restaurants, and bars. In the Short North, there are also funky shops that delight your senses. Slammers is a well known Lesbian bar, accompanied by many mixed restaurants—with a variety of food choices—such as Level, Union Café, and Club Diversity. It is the experience of being in your own environment, holding hands with no one taking a second look, which makes it a special place. Caribbean Jerks is in the Polaris Mall area, a little off track, but worth it for their ribs and being Lesbian-owned and -run.
Do you need a roommate for the National Gathering in Columbus? Are you planning on being there, but don’t know anyone else who is going? Do you need to share a room to save money? OLOC wants to help. Please contact Ruth at firstname.lastname@example.org or 760-318-6794. She will do her best to find you a roommate. She makes no promises,but she will try hard. Think about things such as if you want a hot room or cold, snoring or not, easy waking, etc. We can’t promise you a new BFF, but will try to help make the Gathering fun and more affordable for you!
Looking for Spanish/English Translators
OLOC solicita que si usted va a la reunión, es hábil en la interpretación de Español/Inglés, y dispuesto a ofrecerse voluntariamente algún tiempo para asistirlo, por favor háganos saber. ¡Gracias!
OLOC requests that if you are going to the Gathering, are skilled in Spanish/English interpretation, and willing to volunteer some time to assist with it, please let us know. Thank you!
Five Fascinating Factoids About Columbus. Did you know it:
- Has two million residents, making it the 32nd largest metropolitan area in the US and the second-most populous city in the Midwest (can you guess the first?).
- Had the second largest Somali and Somali-American population in the country, as of 2004.
- Takes its name from some Christopher guy.
- Is perhaps best known for its unbridled passion for college football.
- Is the home of one of the largest concentrations of Lesbian Connection readers and an Advocate Top 10!